Thursday, January 20, 2011

Harvard of the mid-West

It snowed this morning. I was pretty ticked that I still had to go into work, when all I really wanted to do was burrow back down in the covers and snooze. The boys are home from school, but I doubt that I could have justified the need to stay home with a 16 and 18 year old... so I pulled on my boots and hat, and fought my way through unplowed streets to get here. And I'm glad I did.
The view from my desk is absolutely beautiful. The snow is still coming down, covering the evergreens and rooftops. Across the circle is one of the oldest buildings on Drury's campus - Wallace Hall. It is a stately brick dormitory, and today it has snowcapped ledges to compliment the structure. It is easy for me to forget that I'm in Springfield MO and pretend I'm in Cambridge, MA!
Drury has been termed by someone in our history as "the Harvard of the mid-West" (or is it Princeton?). I suppose this is a reference to our prestige, but I have to say, I feel that the physical beauty of our campus has just as much to lend to this moniker. Stately trees line Drury Lane (did you know we are a tree farm? Over 300 varieties on our campus!), and our facilities staff takes immense pride in caring for the grounds.
All in all, I feel blessed to be here. I'm receiving an education (in more ways than one), I am in a position to impact students, I'm warm, I'm employed.... just to name a few positives.
As I ponder these thoughts, I wonder what other areas of my life may not be the "best and brightest", but are enough. If I spent more time meditating on what I do have than what I don't, would I feel just as blessed? I hope so...

1 comment:

  1. See, this is funny, because Truman also calls itself the Harvard of the Midwest. I even have a T-Shirt that says it. But yeah, they're both prestigious and very beautiful campuses. And it's snowing here, too, and it's SO pretty. :)

    I'm glad you're being so optimistic. It's something I'm working on too. Yeah, my life isn't perfect, but I have a lot to be thankful for, and I forget that far too often.

    ReplyDelete