Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Start is a Start

It's amazing how quickly you can lose your stamina when you haven't exercised for a while. After a meeting last night, Keith and I went to the Y and just walked the track. We did walk at a fairly brisk pace, and passed several people, but still; 1/2 hr later, I was aching and whining to go home. But a start is just that- a start, and so I feel good that we didn't sit on the couch all night.
Today, I'm going to spin class at noon; I'm actually very thankful that the teacher won't be there, and it's just a few of us getting together to do it, because I don't think I could keep up otherwise! I'm hoping to see the changes in my attitude and overall sluggishness as I keep up with this.
Next comes the eating part...right now, I'm still so sick of food, after all the holiday binges, that I just want to not eat anything! And because it's so cold, the idea of fresh veggies and salads does not thrill me in the least; bring on the hearty stews and casseroles! I'll get there....
As for the "winter blahs" of my soul, well, I can only say that I feel I made some discoveries about myself last night that make me feel as if I am no longer wallowing in the wilderness, but am moving through the wilderness, on my way to something better, some discovery. I realize I am very purpose driven, and when life or work feels as if it has no greater purpose, I languish. Now, the task becomes to seek out the purpose in the everyday place I find myself!

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, I'm in the same place. I decided to start exercising this semester, and it's killin' me. I've gone to the gym twice, and each time I've just done a bike for 30 minutes, and it's awful. I start to feel it after 15 seconds or so, then I have to somehow stay motivated for the next 29 minutes and 45 seconds...it's a challenge.

    But yeah, it's all part of a bigger self improvement plan. A spiritual, emotional, and physical renovation, I guess. (And by physical I just mean overall health, I DON'T want to lose weight. Can I have a few of your pounds, please?)

    I wish us both the best of luck on this endeavor. :)

    ReplyDelete