Monday, January 17, 2011

Living the Serenity

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

How many times have I recited this prayer, having no real application in my life? But it occurred to me this morning that I have been fighting things I can't change, because I lack the courage, motivation, whatever, to change the things I can. Case in point: I am a diabetic. I don't want to be a diabetic. I have refused to accept that I'm a diabetic. I have fought making changes that will actually keep me healthier because I don't want to admit that I have a disease. So I'm not getting anywhere.
The "wisdom to know the difference" part comes in having the understanding that, even though I make the changes I need to, I will still always be a diabetic, although I can help keep my numbers down. But if I'm living in some delusion that I will someday magically not be a diabetic, I'm not living the first part of the prayer. I can eat all the right foods, take my meds, exercise the right amounts, and I will still be a diabetic. This is not negativity, it's reality, and I need to start understanding the difference ---oooh, another application for the prayer!

4 comments:

  1. Wow girl, you spoke to me and a situation I'm working through. You are truly a blessing. CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, Sweetie. I think it's time for both of us to pick ourselves up, face the truth, dispel the lies, and live the abundant life we were born for. Our circumstances can't dictate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see the words finally springing forth again, Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I really miss you over here. I can't wait until Monday!!! Everytime I'm around you life just seems to be brighter. :)

    ReplyDelete